- How many colors can holî recreate?
- Do I have to pay for the app?
- Where is the best place to use my holî?
- Are there other applications that work with my holî?
- What is the material used for holî’s casing ?
- Can I control my lamp without the app?
- Can I control my holî when I’m out?
- Why a lamp and not light-bulbs?
- I’m off on vacation. Can I set up holî in advance to control my lights?
- How close do I need to be to control my lights?
- How can I tell if holî is still on?
- My phone battery is dead. What can I do?
- How does holî work with my iPhone camera?
- Can I use holî while listening to some music?
- Can I turn holî into a wake up light?
- Can I turn on or off holî without using the app?
- Can I save my favorite light scenes?
- How many lamps can I control simultaneously?
- Can I control holî from multiple devices?
- Are Android versions available?
- I experience difficulties to connect my iPhone/iPad with my lamp. What shall I do?
- I’m prompted to do a software upgrade. What shall I do? What to do if the software upgrade is not working?
How many colors can holî recreate?
Possibilities are endless. Well, almost (we speak of several hundred millions). You can set your holî to any color in the spectrum but also combine colors together.
Nevertheless your holî can’t display grey, black or brown colors. Keep in mind that holî is a lamp, so it recreates colors that are made with light.
If your holî can’t generate the exact same color, it will instead look for the nearest color.
Do I have to pay for the app?
Absolutely not. You can download the holî app for free on the Appstore. An Android App will be available by 2014 March.
Where is the best place to use my holî?
Even if taking a bath with nice dancing colors around you could be relaxing, holî is not waterproof at all so we highly recommend not to us it in your bathroom or close to any source of water.
Holî is perfect in the living room or in your bedroom.
Locate it 30/50 cm (12/18 inches) from your wall, the LED side facing your wall for better results.
Are there other applications that work with my holî?
Not yet but we’re working hard to make it happen as we’d love to get developers and artists involved. We’re impatient to see what they create with holî.
A complete SDK&API as well as proper documentation should soon be available so drop us a line if you want to be one of the first to get your hands in the tech.
What is the material used for holî’s casing ?
We are using high grade aluminum (fully recyclable)
Can I control my lamp without the app?
You can always just turn holî on or off via the small switch located in the center of the lamp. Pressing the switch allows you to circle the following sequence: full white power – half white power – last custom setting used – off and then back to full white.
Can I control my holî when I’m out?
There’s a bunch of smart appliances you can control when you’re away and for which it clearly makes sense (think Nest thermostat) or may make sense (washing machine, oven). But we must admit we don’t really see the interest of being able to control your light scene when you’re not in the room but on the beach slipping cocktails.
So no, you can’t control your holî when you’re traveling abroad.
Why a lamp and not light-bulbs?
Actually we could have designed a light-bulb but there are two main reasons why we decided to design holî instead.
First, a light-bulb, can, by construction, only generate a single color at a time whereas holî can create an infinite number of combinations thanks to its 18 individually controlled LEDs.
The level of light performance, the quality of the effects and the ability to create amazing and complex light choreographies, is definitively not possible with a simple light-bulb. LED are changing the way we experience light and our goal is to give you their full benefits. Not half of them.
Secondly because a connected light-bulb can turn to be a nightmare on an every-day basis as it as to be plugged inside an existing light-fixture. How to start my light-bulb without my phone? How do I know if I’ve switched off the light with the app or the on/off switch of my lamp? Will I accept the reduction of luminosity between the super-bright light-bulbs I’ve been using for years compared to light-bulbs designed for secondary mood lighting? (for us no)
That’s why we decided to create a lamp. Not your everyday lamp but a sleek designed one to complete your existing lighting. So you can change the atmosphere of your room in a click. Even without a phone in hands.
How close do I need to be to control my lights?
As with any radiofrequency communication, actual distance varies according to the location of your holî, the type of building you leave in and local interferences. Average distance is 10m/33ft as per Bluetooth© standards.
How can I tell if holî is still on?
Well first you should see light coming out of your holî but if you dimmed it so much while it is super-bright in your room and need to double check, just open holî’s app and check the color of the ON/OFF button located on the homepage. Blue: your holî’s on. Grey: holî’s off.
My phone battery is dead. What can I do?
Well you can charge it or, for the compulsive buyer, get a new one.
Or you can install the app on another device.
(don’t worry even without phone, you still can turn on/off your holî manually using the central switch).
How does holî work with my iPhone camera?
Holî can recreate colors from any image you want. Select one of your favorite pictures in your phone’s camera-roll or take a new picture. Move the 3 cursors, each of them representing a side of the lamp, to pick your desired colors.
Activate one of the pre-programmed effects (rotating colors, heart-beat, random).
Press OK when you’re done to save your scene.
Don’t forget that trying to use the picture of a brunette in a nightclub probably won’t show holî off in all its glory (even if this girl was amazing).
Can I use holî while listening to some music?
For sure. You can easily connect your smartphone to holî and control your lights while you’re streaming audio to your Bluetooth wireless speaker.
And even better news: Holî will soon be able to sync audio & lights thanks to our “Music for the Eyes” technology.
Thanks to advanced algorithms, holî is able to understand the type of music you’re listening to and change the colors and effects accordingly. It works with the iTunes library and with online music streaming services (Deezer and Spotify). A premium account is required to run Deezer or Spotify.
You want to get your friends crazy during your parties? A special button on the top-right of the screen enables you to run strobo effect on the fly.
Can I turn holî into a wake up light?
Definitively. You can use the dawn simulator to wake up naturally. A way better option than traditional alarm clocks! Select a time and holî will gradually brighten over time, waking you up gently.
Can I turn on or off holî without using the app?
You can always just turn holî on or off via the small switch located in the center of the lamp.
Can I save my favorite light scenes?
Indeed. You can save an unlimited number of light scenes. To create a new scene, press the + on the “Collection” page on go to the “Creation” page. Then let your creativity take control.
How many lamps can I control simultaneously?
You can buy how many lamps you want (thanks for that).
With iOS you can control up to 3 holî at the same time and freely decide if you want them to be synced together or to behave independently.
Can I control holî from multiple devices?
Maybe you want to control holî through your iPhone and your iPad? Or via more than one phone? No problem. Just visit the Appstore to download the proper app and you’re good to go.
Nevertheless keep in mind that once a device is connected to holî, other devices will not be able to connect to holî. Indeed, one holî can only be controlled by one phone/tablet at a time because of current iOS and Bluetooth limitations.
Are Android versions available?
We love the green robot too but we’re not ready yet. The fragmentation of Android’s market with thousands of devices and screen resolutions is a bit of a headache when you want to make a stable and good looking app. A Beta version of the Android version app was released recently (April 2014). A final version should be available in May. To keep update of the latest news, follow us on Facebook or Twitter.
Buy the lamp
I experience difficulties to connect my iPhone/iPad with my lamp. What shall I do?
Occasionally while using your iPhone/iPad you may notice unexpected Bluetooth behavior such as disconnects, intermittent connectivity, or difficulty finding, pairing, or connecting to your lamp.
First, verify the following:
- You’re attempting to sync with a supported device. You can see the list of supported devices in this FAQ
- Your iOS software is updated to the latest version.Verify by going to Settings > General > Software Update to check for updates.
- Your lamp software is updated to the latest version. Verify by visiting the App Store.
- Bluetooth is enabled (Settings > Bluetooth)
- Your lamp is not connected with another device such as your iPad or iPod. To be sure disable Bluetooth on your other devices (Settings > Bluetooth)
Begin troubleshooting with these steps first:
- Check that you are in range of the Bluetooth accessory with which you are trying to pair your iPhone. Your lamp has a range of approximately 30 feet but this distance may vary according to your actual location
- On your iOS device, tap Settings > Bluetooth and find your holî in the list. If your device says “Not Connected”, tap “holî” in the list to attempt to connect it.
- Tap Settings > Bluetooth and turn Bluetooth off and then on again.
- Make sure that your holî is connected to power.
- Restart your iOS device
- Tap Settings > Bluetooth and locate “holî”, then tap and select “Forget this Device”. Try to pair your Bluetooth accessory again (hold the central key of your holî for 3 seconds until it blinks in blue)
- Restart your holî by turning it off and then on again.
I’m prompted to do a software upgrade. What shall I do? What to do if the software upgrade is not working?
Occasionally and in order to either to improve your lamp’s features or to add new ones, we may have to upgrade the internal software of your lamp. Follow the on-screen instructions. Should you experience problems, we recommend to switch off all background applications before starting the upgrading process. Tap Settings > General > Background App Refresh and set them to OFF.
And if you’re lost, contact us